Friday 28 September 2007

Bizarre Australia

I keep talking about some of the weird things that the Aussies do or have, so I thought I'd actually start a list. Here are some of the things that I have noticed so far:

- hook turns: See link for the most awesome/scary driving innovation I've seen in years
- petrol prices: They go up and down. Not over periods of time. No, it's cheaper on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and very expensive on the weekends.
- drive-thru bottle O's: Quite literally a drive-thru liquor store. Like drive-thru McDonalds, but you buy alcohol instead.
- AFL: Australian Rules Football. Although the 'rules' bit is a little exaggerated. Oh hang on, you're not allowed to push someone in the back. Other than that, anything goes!
- chicken & champagne: It's an Aussie-style Champagne breakfast. With chicken pieces.

I can't think of any others at the moment, but I'm sure my list will keep growing.

Chat soon,
DelBoy

7 comments:

The Divine Miss M said...

Hey in South Africa we have drive through shebeens, ever gone to those? Slightly dodgy (okay okay okay completely dodgy as all hell) but still good value.

PLUS we have The Mobile Drop who come to your home armed with alcohol for a hefty sum at all hours.

Damn I sound like an alcoholic ...

Izzy said...

no point complaining now!!!

U decided to move there!!! :P

DelBoy said...

miss m: I have since discovered that you also have drive-thru bottle stores in SA. See http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1264/1451238873_21375f1dd3.jpg
Isi: Not complaining. Loving it! Just wish we could find somewhere to live!

Anonymous said...

Chicken and champagne? What a way to start the day!
I hear they are planning and AFL World Cup. Pity no one plays the game but the Australians. Did not stop the Americans from doing the same when it comes to football though.

6000 said...

Sorry Delboy - making a mess of this.

One last go at posting a simple effing comment!

The best bit about the drive-thru in Zeerust is that if you look at the picture, someone has actually driven through the roof too. Oh - and the resident drunk hanging around hopefully.
Now that makes it an "Only in SA" moment, surely? ;@)

That picture again!

Preview looks good. Going to post now!

kyknoord said...

Fuuuuhk! Gotta love that hook turn. Makes me wonder if there's a secret Safrican taxi school run by Aussies.

DelBoy said...

Chitty: Apparently the game is quite popular in South Africa - so the locals say - and there are 9 clubs over there. See http://www.aflsouthafrica.org/
6000: That's exactly what I thought. An SA moment!
Kyk: The Melbourne drivers are actually very considerate, but I hear that's not the case in Sydney!